- 120g Butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup Plain Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Lemons (depending on the size of your lemons, and the baker’s preference for strength of lemon flavour, you may need more or less lemons)
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease a 21cm square cake tin.
- Grate the rind of the lemons until you have as much zest as you can. Then juice them. This should yield around ½ cup of juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the lemon zest and juice with all the other ingredients, until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into your cake tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake stand for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan and letting cool on a rack.
You can top this cake with syrup or icing – or both if you’re feeling decadent!
For the syrup, dissolve ½ cup of white sugar in boiling water, combine with the zest and juice of 1 lemon, and heat until it reduces.
For the icing, follow our Buttercream Icing recipe, adding 1 ½ Tbsp of lemon juice and the zest of ½ a lemon instead of food colouring.
Top with extra lemon zest for an added zing!