Chilli Oil & Rosemary Foccacia
- 300g high-grade flour
- 7g pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 teaspoons instant bread maker yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 265g warm water (this should be warm enough that it activates the yeast but not hot that it kills it, 27 degrees is an ideal temperature)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chilli in oil
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp cracked pink Himalayan sea salt
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, yeast and sugar.
2. Add the warm water to the flour mixture and mix with a spatula until the mixture is combined. The mixture will be very wet, this is normal for creating a fluffy focaccia.
3. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave the mixture to rest on the bench for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, create a series of folds to activate the dough. First, wet your hands and grab one corner of the dough. Pull it up roughly 10cm (so the dough is stretching, not breaking) and then bring it back down to tuck into the centre of the dough ball. Rotate your bowl 1/4 and repeat this process 3 more times, repeating the movement until you have stretched the dough 4 times, once at every quarter.
5. Leave your dough to sit for 10 minutes and repeat this stretching process again.
6. Leave your dough to sit for another 10 minutes and repeat this stretching process for a final time.
7. Grease the bowl with some olive oil and roll the dough around in it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours (overnight is a great time to do it).
8. Remove the dough from the fridge. Grease a 21cm square metal tin with olive oil and place your focaccia dough in the centre. Slightly stretch out the dough to each corner so when the dough rises, it will follow the direction.
9. Cover the tin with a tea towel and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (roughly 3 hours). It should be puffy and have a focaccia jiggle when it is done.
10. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
11. When the dough has risen, add your olive oil, chilli in oil, rosemary and sea salt to the top of the focaccia.
12. Place the focaccia in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the top sounds hollow when tapped.
13. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Makes 1 x 21cm focaccia