- 225g butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
- Beat butter and sugars together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a small bowl. Gradually blend flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- On a lightly floured surface, or between two sheets of baking paper, roll the dough to 4mm thickness. Cut out using cookie cutters and place roughly 1 inch apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
Top tip: if your mixture is slightly too thin, squeeze the dough into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for half an hour before you roll it out.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden, around 8 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheets briefly before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Top with icing and serve!
- Add ½ teaspoon almond extract and/or the zest of 1 orange for a richer flavour profile
- If you’re not using cookie cutters, roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2 inches apart to bake