Snow People Cupcakes
Posted By TVNZ 1
- 75g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup packed Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 1 ½ tsp finely grated peeled ginger
- 165mL boiling water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
Vanilla Butter Cream and Decorations:
- 110g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 500g sifted Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
- ¼ cup Milk, room temperature
- 1 liquorice strap
- Food Colour Gel in red, green, and blue
- ¼ cup fine coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, no fan.
- Generously butter and flour a 12 cup muffin tin, shaking out excess flour
- Stir together the boiling water and the baking soda and set aside
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, powdered spices and salt, and set aside
- Place the butter and brown sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat till it is light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes
- Add the egg and mix to combine
- Add the golden syrup, fresh ginger, baking soda mixture, and beat till combined. It may look curdled but don’t panic! The next step will help….
- Add the flour mixture and mix well till combined
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups and place into your pre heated oven for approximately 20 minutes. Depending on your oven, you may need to rotate your tray halfway through cooking.
- Test your cakes are cooked using a skewer. It will come out clean if cooked.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before turning out on to a cake rack to cool completely before decorating.
Icing & Decorating
- Combine the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer
- Beat until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Scrape down your bowl during the mixing time to ensure everything is incorporated
- Cover your cooled cup cakes with the butter cream
- Pipe a body and a head for your ‘people’ on top of the cup cake
- Colour a small amount of icing as you wish to decorate your little snow people
- Give them character and bring them to life!