Portuguese Milk Pudding
Posted By TVNZ 1
- 750 ml Lactose-free Milk
- 3 medium sized strips of orange rind, pith removed.
- 2 tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
- 2 ½ cups Caster Sugar
- 6 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 160°C, no fan. Fill a jug with water and set it to boil.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water, without stirring, until the sugar melts and begins to colour a bit.
- Resist the urge to stir
- Continue cooking the mixture until it is a medium golden brown
- Carefully pour the caramel into a 20cm savarin mould. Tilt the pan to coat the bottom and sides, as well as around the centre ring. This will make it easier to tip out.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, vanilla and orange rind and bring to the merest simmer over medium-low heat.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the milk to steep until deeply infused, about 10 minutes.
- Leave aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir the eggs, the yolk, and the remaining 1.5 cup of sugar with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved
- Slowly tip in the infused milk, stirring constantly
- Strain in to a jug to make it easy to fill the savarin mould
- Remove all bubbles from the surface
- Pour the milk mixture into mould, filling to 1cm below the rim, and set the mould in a small roasting pan.
- Place the roasting pan on the centre rack in your oven and pour enough boiled water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the mould.
- Bake the pudding until set around edges but slightly jiggly in middle, approximately 45 minutes
- Remove the mould from water bath and place it on a work surface to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- If the flan hasn’t released from the sides of the mould, run a sharp knife around the pan.
Buy 2 Or More & Save 50% on selected Circulon itemsCirculon Genesis Stainless Steel Saucepan, 16cm