2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped.
1 large capsicum, chopped and/or roasted
¼ tsp fine sea salt
3 cloves garlic, pressed
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp chilli flakes (optional if not wanting spicy)
2 x 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped coriander or parsley, or basil. Plus additional to garnish
Freshly ground salt and black pepper to taste
5 to 6 large eggs
Shaved parmesan to top and serve
Crusty slices of bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Please note. You can cook it at a higher temperature like 190°C if your pan going in the oven allows.
- Warm the oil in a large, oven-safe skillet / fry pan / sauté pan over a medium heat. Once simmering, add the chopped onion, capsicum and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft and turning translucent, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, cumin, paprika and chilli flakes. Stirring constantly, cook until nice and fragrant, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes with their liquid and add the coriander / parsley. Stir and let the mixture come to a simmer. Reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Carefully taste and add salt and pepper as necessary. Use the back of a spoon to make a well around the edges and crack the egg directly into it. Gently spoon a bit of the tomato mixture over the white to help contain the egg. Repeat with the remaining 4 – 5 eggs, depending on how many you can fit. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the eggs.
- Carefully transfer the pan to the oven and bake for approximately 30 – 35 minutes at 150°C, checking often once you reach 30 minutes. Note, if baking at 190°C, bake for 8 – 12 minutes. They’re cooked when the egg white are opaque and the yolks have risen a bit but are still soft. They should still jiggle in the centres when your shimmy the pan. Note, they will continue to cook after you pull the dish out of the oven.
- Using oven mitts and both hands, transfer the hot and heavy pan to a heat safe surface like the stove top or a wooden trivet. Top with the shaved parmesan and fresh parsley / coriander or basil and add more chilli flakes if desired. Serve in bowls with crusty slices of bread on the side.
Buy 2 Or More & Save 50% on Selected Products. Mix and Match across any Buy 2 or More & Save 50% OfferCirculon Genesis Stainless Saute Pan, 30cm
Buy 2 Or More & Save 30% on Selected Products. Mix and Match across any Buy 2 or More & Save 30% OfferCapital Kitchen Evolve Stainless Steel Frypan, 30cm
Buy 2 Or More & Save 30% on Selected Products. Mix and Match across any Buy 2 or More & Save 30% OfferCapital Kitchen Evolve Dura-Pan Saute Pan, 28cm
Buy 2 Or More & Save 30% on Selected Products. Mix and Match across any Buy 2 or More & Save 30% OfferCapital Kitchen Revolution Easy Chopper