Rich Plum Pudding
2½ cups mixed dried fruits
½ cup red glazed cherries, halved
2 slices crystallised or glazed pineapple, chopped
1 cup soft dark brown sugar
125g butter, or dairy substitute, chopped
1 cup cold water
1 tsp baking soda
Grate zest of half an orange
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1½ - 2 tsp mixed spice
¼ cup brandy (optional)
Custard, cream or ice cream for serving
- Butter the Soffritto Pudding Steamer.
- Place the dried fruits, cherries, pineapple, sugar, butter and water into a large saucepan. Mix lightly, then simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until butter has melted. Simmer for a further 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the baking soda. Let cool.
- Stir in the orange zest, sifted flours, spices, eggs and brandy (optional) mixing thoroughly.
- Spoon into the prepared pudding steamer smooth the surface. (Always ensure there is sufficient room for the pudding to rise) Fit lid firmly in position.
- Place into a large pot, pour in boiling water to halfway up the pudding steamer. Cover the pot, place over medium heat and boil for 4 - 4½ hours, topping up with boiling water if necessary.
- To serve, carefully remove pudding bowl from heat, stand for 10 minutes before removing the lid and turning out the pudding. Serve with cream, custard or ice cream.