Rich Plum Pudding
2½ cups mixed dried fruits
½ cup red glazed cherries, halved
2 slices crystallised or glazed pineapple, chopped
1 cup soft dark brown sugar
125g butter, or dairy substitute, chopped
1 cup cold water
1 tsp baking soda
Grate zest of half an orange
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1½ - 2 tsp mixed spice
¼ cup brandy (optional)
Custard, cream or ice cream for serving
- Butter the Soffritto Pudding Steamer.
- Place the dried fruits, cherries, pineapple, sugar, butter and water into a large saucepan. Mix lightly, then simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until butter has melted. Simmer for a further 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the baking soda. Let cool.
- Stir in the orange zest, sifted flours, spices, eggs and brandy (optional) mixing thoroughly.
- Spoon into the prepared pudding steamer smooth the surface. (Always ensure there is sufficient room for the pudding to rise) Fit lid firmly in position.
- Place into a large pot, pour in boiling water to halfway up the pudding steamer. Cover the pot, place over medium heat and boil for 4 - 4½ hours, topping up with boiling water if necessary.
- To serve, carefully remove pudding bowl from heat, stand for 10 minutes before removing the lid and turning out the pudding. Serve with cream, custard or ice cream.
Buy One Get One Free on Selected Products. Mix and Match across any Buy One Get One Free OfferSoffritto Baking Sheet