Posted By TVNZ 2
Makes 20 Cookies
250g salted butter, softened
375g plain flour
3 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
25g milk powder
EGG WASH INGREDIENTS:
1/2 tsp QUEEN vanilla essence
600g DOLE pineapple flesh (1 medium DOLE pineapple), peeled and core removed
180g palm sugar
1 lemon, juiced
5 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick 5cm
- Pre heat oven to 180˚C fan bake
- In a stand mixer. Place your softened butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cornflour and milk powder. With your mixer on low, add the flour mixture to your creamed mixture until just combined.
- Place onto your bench and gently knead together to form a soft ball. It should not be too sticky or too dry. You can adjust the amount of butter or flour if necessary.
- Roll into a ball once well combined, flatten lightly with your hands and wrap in cling film until required.
For the pineapple filling
- Peel and core the pineapple. Roughly chop and place into a food processor, pulse until finely chopped but not puree.
- In a saucepan, combine the pineapple, palm sugar, lemon juice, cloves and cinnamon.
- Place on a medium to high heat and cook until the mixture is dark thick and sticky.
It should resemble a thick jam. Remove the cloves and cinnamon stick. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Once cooled roll your pineapple mixture into teaspoon balls and place back into the fridge.
- Divide pastry dough and roll into 2.5cm balls. Flatten the dough in your hand into a round shape. Your hands will warm the dough slightly which will make it easier to use and stop the dough from cracking.
- Place a ball of the chilled pineapple filling into the centre of the pastry then mould the pastry around it.13. Shape into a small round ball with no cracks in the dough.
- Place your Nastar ball on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and gently place a clove into the top of each ball.
- Make the egg wash, beat together the egg and vanilla essence.
- Brush your Nastar cookies with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.