Mad Millie Original Sourdough Recipe
Posted By Mad Millie
A Mad Millie Sourdough Culture sachet can make one loaf or two! Mad Millie recommend optimising your culture by making two loaves and storing half the dough in the refrigerator for up to a week. Leave at room temperature for 1 - 2 hours before baking from the refrigerator.
1 sachet Mad Millie Sourdough Culture
1 - 1.5 tsp Mad Millie Artisan's Salt
3 Cups (384g) High-Grade White Flour
1.5 Cups (375ml) warm water approx 30°C
1. Mix together Mad Millie Sourdough Culture, Artisan's Salt & High-Grade Flour.
2. Create a 'Well' in the middle and pour the warm water into it.
3. Mix to create a soft, sticky dough.
4. Cover the bowl loosely with cling film or a damp clean tea towel and let rise in a warm place (above 20°C) for 20 - 48 hours. Allowing to rise for the full 48 hours will result in a more sour/tangy flavour. After rising, the dough should be doubled in volume, sticky and bubbly.
5. Tip the dough onto a well-floured surface. Fold the outside edges inwards and make into a ball shape. Wet your hands (or cover them in flour) to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
6. Line a bowl with baking paper and place dough into it for a second rise of 2 hours in a warm place.
7. Preheat the oven and cooking pot with lid to 230°C. Place the dough into the centre of the pre-heated pot and bake with lid on for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for a further 18 minutes or until golden brown.