Posted By TVNZ 2
Makes 36 complete macarons
84g Egg white
225g Castor sugar
225g FreshLife Ground almonds
225g Icing sugar
84g Extra egg white
QUEEN orange gel to colour or Orange essence
QUEEN pink gel to colour
180g White chocolate
10g Freeze dried raspberry powder
100g Chocolate 70%
Zest of one orange
- Preheat the oven to 125°C fan bake
- Semi whip the first egg white in the stand mixer
- In a pot cook the sugar and water to 122°C
- Slowly pour the cooked sugar into the semi whipped egg whites by adding it down the inside of the bowl while still beating at a medium speed
- Whip until the bowl is no longer warm to the touch, this may take up to 10 minutes
- Sieve the almonds and icing sugar together and divide in to 2 bowls (225g each).
- Mix orange colouring in to one and pink colouring into the other. These should be a pale pastel colour so don’t add too much to begin with.
- Add 42g of extra egg white into each bowl and mix well
- Divide the beaten egg white into 2 equal parts and add one part to each of the coloured almond mixtures.
- Fold together until it reaches ribbon stage.
- Pipe onto 5cm discs on to a lined baking sheet.
- Leave at room temperature for 5 minutes then bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before touching.
- There should be enough for 18 raspberry and 18 orange sandwiched macarons.
- Raspberry filling:
- Bring the cream to the boil. Once boiled take off the heat and add in the chocolate and raspberry powder.
- Stir until all the chocolate has melted, without adding too many air bubbles.
- Chocolate filling:
- Bring the cream to the boil. Once boiled take off the heat and add in the chocolate.
- Add orange zest and mix until all the chocolate melts.
- Place the 2 fillings into separates piping bags and leave to cool so It will hold its shape once piped.
- Fill and sandwich your macarons with the flavours - dark chocolate orange and white chocolate raspberry.