Hot Cross Buns
- 200ml Milk
- 100ml Boiling Water
- 1 Tbsp Softened Butter
- 1 Tbsp Yeast
- 450g High Grade Flour
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Cup Sultanas
- 25g Butter
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- Add milk, boiling water, butter and yeast to a measuring jug
- Stir and set aside for 10 minutes
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl
- Add the liquid and fruit. Mix by hand and then turn out onto a floured bench and knead for 10 minutes. If using an electric mixer, use a dough hook to knead for 7 minutes.
- Grease the mixing bowl with butter and put the kneaded dough in
- Cover the mixing bowl with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size
- Once the dough has risen, lightly form it into a log and cut it into 16 pieces
- Form each piece into a ball and place on a warmed baking tray. Put it in a warm, moist place and leave until doubled in size.
- Create the Bun Crosses mixture. In a small saucepan over gentle heat, heat the butter until melting and the water to boiling. Remove from heat and beat in the flour. Add the egg and whisk until smooth. Fill a piping bag with the mixture.
- Pipe crosses onto the buns before baking
- Bake at 220°C for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 180°C for a further 10 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and while the buns are still hot, brush with the glaze
- To make the glaze - in a saucepan bring milk and sugar to a boil.