Gingerbread Banoffee Trifle
- Gingerbread cookies (see our recipe here)
- 2 ginger loafs
- 6-8 bananas
- Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Whipped Cream
- Caramilk chocolate to garnish
Homemade Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups cream
- 1-2 Tbsp icing sugar
- Follow the gingerbread recipe found here.
- While your gingerbread is still warm, press against the sides of the trifle bowl so they bend to the shape of the bowl. Let them cool fully against the glass.
- Make the caramel sauce:
- Heat the sugar in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Swirl the pan approximately every 20 seconds. The sugar will start to clump before melting, so be patient and keep an eye on it to make sure it does not burn. Heat until it is completely melted.
- Remove from heat as soon as the sugar has melted and stir in the butter. The mixture will violently bubble.
- Pour in ½ cup of cream and ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir until everything is combined. Pour into small bowl or cup and allow to cool completely before using.
- Whip the cream. In a large mixing bowl, beat the icing sugar and 2 cups of cream for 3-4 minutes, or until medium peaks form. Note that this is already quite a sweet dish, so you can leave the icing sugar out altogether if you prefer.
- Chop your ginger loafs into 1-inch pieces. Line the bottom of your trifle bowl with a layer of ginger loaf pieces.
- Chop enough banana to create another visible layer.
- Pour over some of the caramel sauce, just enough to coat the tops of the bananas. You do not want to drown them.
- Add a layer of whipped cream. Leave a little space between the cream and the edge of the trifle bowl as when you add more layers, the cream will spread.
- If you want you can add some crushed gingerbread and/or grated Caramilk chocolate here.
- Repeat the layers until you have filled the trifle bowl. Depending on how thick you’ve made your layers, you can get anywhere from 2 to 4 layers.
- Top with grated Caramilk chocolate. You can also add other garnishes, for example, leftover gingerbread biscuits, cinnamon sticks, or whole pieces of Caramilk.