Chocolate Filled Choux au Craquelin
Posted By TVNZ 1
- 200mL water
- 200mL milk
- 200g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 5g sea salt
- 5g caster sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 400g eggs, lightly beaten (apprx. 7 eggs)
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g plain flour
- Pink and Yellow Gel Food Colouring
- 50g white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 30g caster sugar
- 30g cornflour
- 500mL milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Pastry cream flavours
- 120g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp plum freeze dried powder
- 120g white chocolate
- 1 tsp passionfruit freeze dried powder
Small choux filling
- 300mL single cream, whipped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mango freeze dried powder
- White and dark chocolate shards
- Luster dust
- Small chocolate flower
Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine butter, sugar and flour in your stand mixer until it comes together.
- Split mixture in half and add colour to each. Be generous and mix well.
- Roll out each mixture between two layers of parchment paper to 2mm thick.
- Place in freezer until frozen.
- Combine water, milk, butter, salt and sugar in a saucepan. Place over a medium heat until you have a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and add flour all at once. Stir until it forms a mass.
- Return to heat and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes to dry out the mixture.
- Transfer mixture to bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low speed for a few minutes to cool the mixture.
- Add eggs 100g at a time.
- Increase speed to medium for 2 minutes
- Put the mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto parchment lined tray.
- Remove your frozen craquelin from the freezer and cut out rounds, placing them on top of choux.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes, then open the oven and prick choux to dry out for a further 15 minutes.
- Place egg yolks and caster sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk. Add cornflour and mix together.
- Pour milk into saucepan with vanilla, and heat on low until boiling point.
- Pour half the hot milk over your egg yolk mixture while stirring, then pour back into the pot. Keep stirring over heat until thickened.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and stir through the pastry cream.
- Add flavoured powders to taste.
- Cut top off your Choux au Craquelin and fill with pastry cream. Replace the top like a lid.
- Top with chocolate shards and a chocolate flower. Sprinkle with luster dust.